- Feb 27 2015, Alhamdulillah, received ZCP enabling our contractor to apply for construction related permits.
- Feb 2015, Alhamdulillah, signed the contract with CNS Builders to start the construction phase. Total cost to make the place ‘prayer ready’ is about $150K. May Allah reward you for generous contributions and please continue to donate generously for this noble cause. All donations are tax deductible.
- Feb 2015, loan paid off.
- Jan 2015, submitted revised ‘Final Plan” application.
- Oct 2014, submitted the ‘Final Plan’ application.
- Sept 2014, the Chapel Hill Community Design Commission approved alternative buffers (privacy fence instead of vegetation on 3 sides).
- June 2014, Chapel Hill Town Planning Board approved 103 Stateside Drive for use as a masjid. The approval is subject to construction of driveway and parking spaces, privacy fence and vegetation buffers, bio-retention for storm water, and renovations inside the building to make it handicapped accessible.
- April 2014, revised site plan application submitted.
- Nov 2013, technical review meeting.
- Oct 2013, site plan application submitted.
- Apr 2013, pre-application meeting with Planning Dept.
- Feb 2013, revised pre-application submitted.
- Aug 2012, preliminary comments from the Planning Dept.
- July 2012, site plan pre-application submitted.
- May 2012, Traffic Impact Analysis exemption received.
- April 2012, Traffic Impact Analysis exemption request submitted.
- Mar 2012, site plan pre-application first draft.
Q: Where is the future Masjid site located?
A: In 2010 during real estate stagnation an opportunity arose to buy a house in a residential area. This property was attractive because it was centrally located near I-40 exit 266, had nearly an acre of land, no restrictive covenants and friendly neighbors. Alhamdulillah, CHIS purchased the house at 103 Stateside drive for 225K with existing funds, generous support from local and adjoining Muslim community, and interest free loan of 60K.
Q: What is the current status?
A: Naturally because of past obstacles we are really excited when the town in June 2014 approved our site plan application for change of use to a place of worship. Our challenge now is to raise funds required to modify the premises to meet town codes for a public place of worship. Following modifications are required before we can function as a Masjid for prayers, based on the Planning Board approval resolution.
- A wider (25ft) asphalt driveway located at least 6ft away from the property border.
- One handicapped and 8 regular asphalt paved parking spaces.
- To meet town storm water management requirements, a 20x30ft bio-retention pond built to town standards.
- Landscape with vegetation buffer along Stateside Drive and 6ft wooden privacy fence on the other 3 sides.
- Wheel chair ramp from the parking space to the entrance. The main entrance need to be modified for wheel chair entrance.
- To meet the ADA compliant bathroom requirement one of the two existing bathrooms need to be expanded and renovated.
- Structural reinforcements to the building to meet commercial codes.
Q: What next?
A: The Prophet (Peace be upon him) tells us “Whosoever shares in building a masjid for Allaah, even if it is as small as a bird’s nest, Allaah will build for him a house in Paradise.”
Our best estimate is that there are about 30 Muslim families in Chapel Hill. The relatively small size of Muslim community places a higher burden on each to share the costs needed to make our dream of a Masjid in Chapel Hill a reality. Insha Allah with Allah’s help, your dua and support we would like to open the Masjid for prayers before the end of the year.